If you're looking for a romantic theme for your wedding, there can be little better than creating a "starry night" motif. And it can be done to suit just about anyone's taste and budget. Here are 5 ideas for any couple.
- String Lights. Filling the ceiling or sky over your wedding venue with strings of small white lights creates a dazzling effect. You can string these lights in a number of ways—from a central point on the ceiling and radiating outward to all corners; draped individually from rafters or tree limbs, creating a tunnel entrance; or strung straight across the venue's ceiling from side to side. A full starry ceiling can mean a lot of work, so you may want to hire a professional who is experienced in large-scale event lighting.
- Lanterns. Hang star-shaped lanterns or lanterns with star-shaped holes strategically around the venue—from the ceiling, from backdrops behind the cake or ceremony location, or among your ceiling string lights—for a chic look. Mix and match stellar lanterns with other lighting focal points, such as boxy glass lanterns, star-shaped garlands, and formal chandeliers.
- Disco Lamps. You can use any of a large variety of disco-style lamps with starry or pinpoint openings to project a sea of stars onto the walls or ceiling of the venue. Use a single large globe to cover the walls or dance floor, or opt for a small globe with a candle inside to project stars onto the cake, individual tables, or buffet area. For a fun variation on this idea, talk with an event lighting professional about using a multi-colored lighting globe or rotating colors.
- Starry Linens. If you want to dress up the tables and centerpieces, you can use starry backdrops in your accessories and linens. Sequined table cloths, napkins, and drapes create a fun, star-like effect easily. Or, you can DIY your stars using black or midnight blue linens and carefully spreading glitter on them, then placing complementary china place settings with gold metallic accent pieces on top. Use a black chalkboard with stars drawn on it or glittery craft paper to make announcements, direct guests, identify buffet foods, and provide place cards or menus.
- Fireworks. Want to finish your romantic night with a bang... literally? At the end of the evening, accompany your guests outside for a professional fireworks display that rivals the actual stars.
Whether you want to wish upon a star or dream of them, you can create a beautiful starry evening on any wedding budget. For professional assistance, contact an event lighting company like Orange Frog Productions.Share